- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 4 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 package (12 ounces) smoked sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Sliced seeded jalapeno pepper, optional
- Place first five ingredients in a 4 or 5-qt. slow cooker; top with barbecue sauce. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads at least 170°-175°, 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken, sausage and vegetables from slow cooker; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve chicken, sausage and vegetables with sauce. If desired, top with jalapeno. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forBBQ Chicken & Smoked Sausage
"Overall, this was a delicious meal. The chicken thighs are fall-off-the-bone tender. The only criticism I have is that the sauce seems to lose a little of its "punch" in the cooking so you may need to pour a little sauce (the remaining sauce in the bottle) on top of the finished dish for added flavor."
"This was great. I halved the recipe for the two of us, using only two thighs, which was plenty. I used my small, 2-1/2 quart slow cooker and served the meal directly from it because my husband didn't want to wait any longer after getting a whiff of his dinner. You'd better believe I'll be making this again!"