Bayou Shrimp Rice Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in butter until crisp-tender. Stir in the water, ham, tomato sauce, vinegar and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the rice; cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the shrimp; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink and rice is cooked.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 320 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 916mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jan 30, 2013
I almost always have shrimp on hand and was looking for a way to use up a little leftover ham; I found this in my Cooking for Two cookbook (which I don't think I could live without, now that we are empty-nesters.) My husband liked it well enough to eat the leftovers for lunch...good sign!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.