Bayou Burgers with Spicy Remoulade
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 pound fully cooked andouille sausage, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 Italian turkey sausage link (4 ounces), casing removed
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- 4 kaiser rolls, split
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add andouille sausage; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the Creole seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper. Crumble turkey and turkey sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook burgers for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Top with cheese; cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- For remoulade, in a small bowl, combine the Miracle Whip, lemon juice, pepper sauce, relish and capers. Spread rolls with butter and sprinkle with remaining garlic powder. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve burgers on rolls with remoulade.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 811 calories, 55g fat (18g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 1671mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 41g protein.
Jan 2, 2017
This is a great juicy burger with a ton of flavor. These burgers aren't for people who don't like heat.
Jul 17, 2013
This was a very moist, spicy burger! The adults in our family loved it, but the kids found it too spicy. We used ground pork instead of turkey, and they were delicious. I shared this recipe with my cooking co-op and we made huge batches to freeze. They froze well and were easy to finish up (just don't freeze the sauce). We made 8 smaller burgers out of one recipe and served them on whole wheat hamburger buns to cut back on calories. Delicious!
Nov 19, 2012
We LOVE this burger! We use beef instead of turkey, we girll them and we use Mayo in place of miracle whip (and I don't even LIKE mayo!) I use this remoulade for shrimp and chicken appetizers sometimes too! This is a favorite for sure!
Mar 5, 2011
Although I am not a fan of the plain Turkey burger, this recipe was delicious and will be made again. To save on the calories, I skipped the buttered kaiser rolls and opted for toasted whitewheat hamburg buns. This recipe does make 8 smaller size burgers to fit the buns.