Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 3/4 pound beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 medium head red cabbage, cut into 2 wedges
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup crushed gingersnap cookies (about 8 cookies)
- In a large saucepan, cook beef in oil until browned; drain. Stir in the broth, onion, bay leaf, caraway seeds and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- Combine vinegar and sugar; stir into beef mixture. Place cabbage on top of meat mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-22 minutes or until meat and cabbage are tender.
- Remove beef and cabbage; keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Stir gingersnaps into cooking liquid; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in beef. Serve with cabbage.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 391 calories, 20g fat (5g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 701mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 36g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 8, 2012
I made this for my husband, he said it was so much better than the restaurant!!! He could have eaten 10 times what I made in one sitting!! I loved it too!
Mar 3, 2012
This was very good. I'll probably be lazy next time and add shredded cabbage instead of messing with cabbage wedges-the wedges fell apart on me.
Aug 23, 2009
I needed to add WAY more cooking liquid than indicated. Almost double. It was tasty & tender, but you definitely need to keep a close eye on the liquid level while cooking.