Bavarian Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 2 hours 10 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 leeks, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, fry bacon; drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Add vegetables, seasonings and enough water to cover (about 4 cups). Simmer, covered for 2 hours. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 217 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 1528mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 2, 2017
My mother made this soup when I was a child many years ago. She is gone now and I have tried making it but didn't have the recipe . I think this is it. I used a white onion, and added some chicken broth for some of the water. I love this. Thank you for sharing.