Bavarian Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 2 hours 10 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 leeks, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, fry bacon; drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Add vegetables, seasonings and enough water to cover (about 4 cups). Simmer, covered for 2 hours. Garnish with parsley if desired.
May 2, 2017
My mother made this soup when I was a child many years ago. She is gone now and I have tried making it but didn't have the recipe . I think this is it. I used a white onion, and added some chicken broth for some of the water. I love this. Thank you for sharing.