My husband and I first enjoyed this soup on a tour of Bavaria. When I asked for the recipe, it was delivered to our table, written in English—but with no amounts for any of the ingredients! After a few trials, I got it "right" and forwarded the recipe to several of the people that were in our tour group.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 leeks, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, fry bacon; drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Add vegetables, seasonings and enough water to cover (about 4 cups). Simmer, covered for 2 hours. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Bavarian Potato Soup in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p47
Reviews forBavarian Potato Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review