Bavarian Cream Bonnet
This dessert is an eye catcher. I decorated the top of this lovely dessert with fruit arranged in a flower design.—Lois Jacobsen, Dallas, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 green fruit roll-up
- Blueberries, strawberry halves, peach slices and kiwifruit wedges
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, gelatin and salt. Whisk in milk and egg yolks. Let stand for 1 minute. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 12 minutes or until mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Transfer to a large bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface. Refrigerate for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until thickened, but not set.
- Fold in whipped cream. Transfer to a 9-in. round pan lined with plastic wrap and coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
- Invert onto a serving platter; remove plastic wrap. Cut fruit roll-up into strips with a width equal to the height of the Bavarian cream. Wrap fruit roll strips around bonnet and tie into a bowl. Garish with fruit.