- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped dried beef
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 14 saltines, broken into pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- Additional parsely
- Assorted crackers
- Place sauerkraut in a food processor; cover and process until creamy. Add the cheese, dried beef, sour cream , mayonnaise, saltines, parsley and onion; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a bowl; cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Shape into a ball; roll in additional parsley. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Serve with crackers. Yield: 3-1/2 cups.
Reviews forBavarian Cheese Ball
"I was looking for something different so I gave this recipe a try. Given sauerkraut as an ingredient, I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but was pleasantly surprised! It was a definite hit! It is delicious! I will say that it makes more than your average size cheese ball and had enough for two. This is a great recipe for any party!"
"This is so amazingly good. I have made it several times and it has become a favorite at holiday family gatherings. I have taken it to church potlucks and end up giving this recipe out several times every time I do that I now will take a few copies with me. Imagine the surprised looks I get when they see there is sauerkraut as one of the ingredients."
"I have made this cheese ball several times, and have shared this recipe with several people. They cannot believe there is saurkraut in it. On a side note, do not use dried parsely. It doesn't turn out good."