Bavarian Beef Roast
Her well-seasoned beef roast is so tender and juicy, Cynthia Gessner never has leftovers when she serves it. "My husband and our four boys, ages 5 to 20, clean their plates...down to the tiny diced vegetables," she notes from her home in Radway Alberta. "Try serving this with a side of sweet-and-sour cabbage."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours 50 min.
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 1 garlic clove, cut into thin slivers
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sherry or beef broth
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- With a sharp knife, cut thin slits in meat; place a piece of garlic in each slit. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain. Add the carrots, celery and onion. Combine the sherry or broth, parsley, sugar, caraway seeds, salt and cardamom; pour over meat.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 2-3/4 hours or until meat is tender. Remove and slice meat. Skim fat from cooking liquid and serve vegetables with meat.
Nutrition Facts3 ounce-weight: 228 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 360mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Bavarian Beef Roast in Light & Tasty February/March 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.