Bavarian Apple Bars
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + chilling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled Golden Delicious or Fuji apples (about 8 medium)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. Press onto bottom and 1 in. up sides of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until blended. Pour into crust.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with cinnamon and remaining sugar. Arrange over cream cheese layer; sprinkle with almonds. Bake 50-60 minutes or until cream cheese layer is set and edges of crust are golden brown.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 1 hour. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Cut into bars.
Oct 5, 2014
These bars are fabulous. I lived in Munich for a while and they are so like the delicious pastries I enjoyed there. Everyone who has tried them (and there are a lot) has thought they are terrific. Thank you for sharing.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.