Bavarian Apple Bars
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + chilling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled Golden Delicious or Fuji apples (about 8 medium)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. Press onto bottom and 1 in. up sides of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until blended. Pour into crust.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with cinnamon and remaining sugar. Arrange over cream cheese layer; sprinkle with almonds. Bake 50-60 minutes or until cream cheese layer is set and edges of crust are golden brown.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 1 hour. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Cut into bars.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 5, 2014
These bars are fabulous. I lived in Munich for a while and they are so like the delicious pastries I enjoyed there. Everyone who has tried them (and there are a lot) has thought they are terrific. Thank you for sharing.