- 3/4 pound Polish sausage, sliced
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds)
- 8 cups water
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 cups cooked navy or great northern beans
- In a skillet, cook the sausage until done. Drain on paper towels; set aside. In large Dutch oven, cook chicken in water until tender. Remove chicken; let cool. Strain broth and skim off fat. Return broth to Dutch oven. Add leeks, carrots, turnip, onion, potato, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; add to the Dutch oven. Add cabbage, beans and cooked sausage. Simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forBasque Vegetable Soup
"This soup sounds very good but I have a question. Are the beans already cooked? It doesn't seem like they would cook in 30 min."
"Nice twist on sausage and beans! Full of vegetable goodness as well!"