The soup is so scrumptious that it is worth the time it takes to cut up the fresh basil. I believe it is even better the next day, after the flavors have and a chance to blend in the refrigerator overnight.—Tonia Billbe, Elmira, New York
Featured In: 40 Recipes for Vegetable Soup
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until onion is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, basil, sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the orzo according to package directions; drain. Add orzo and cream to soup; heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle servings with cheese. Yield: 16 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Basil Tomato Soup with Orzo in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3 2012, p52
Reviews forBasil Tomato Soup with Orzo
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 17, 2017
"This is a wonderful side soup, but it definitely makes 16 servings. I usually split the recipe for my family because I have a small family."