- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until onion is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, basil, sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the orzo according to package directions; drain. Add orzo and cream to soup; heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle servings with cheese. Yield: 16 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forBasil Tomato Soup with Orzo
"This is a wonderful side soup, but it definitely makes 16 servings. I usually split the recipe for my family because I have a small family."