Basil Tomato Rice
“Whenever my family wants something different to go with our grilled beef—or other entrees, I throw together this easy side. It’s so fresh-tasting, and I always have the ingredients on hand.” Sarah Rupe - Eldon, Iowa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in rice; cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute pepper and onion in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, basil and salt; heat through. Stir into rice.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 154 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 295mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Originally published as Tomato, Basil Rice in Healthy Cooking October/November 2009
Jul 13, 2012
I omitted the gr pepper. My family absolutely loved this dish.
Apr 12, 2010
Our family enjoyed this rice. Its' easy to make, the basil and tomatoes gave rice a different twist. I would definitely make it again.