- 8 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 large plum tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- On four slices of bread, layer cheese and tomatoes; sprinkle with basil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Top with remaining bread.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder; brush over the outsides of each sandwich. On a griddle, cook sandwiches over medium heat until golden brown on both sides. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forBasil-Tomato Grilled Cheese
"Made for guests . All loved!"
"Very good. Hubby wanted seconds, which is unusual, so it MUST be very good. easy and a nice fresh lunch."
"An excellent way to use fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden. I used ciabatta bread, which made them pretty tall, so I would recommend a panini press or George Foreman grill if you have one to keep the ingredients together"
"This is a great grilled cheese sandwich! Perfect for adults, especially. Lots of flavor and very filling."
"What a treat! Made a terrific lunch. My sister in law and all the kiddos loved it!"
"Simply amazing, melts in your mouth. I even made it with rye bread as it's healthier and that worked really well."
"I was so excited to make this, and it turned out to be a huge disappointment. It was alright but not worth the tedious time and effort."
"Wow, this is really yummy. But holy cow that's a lot of fat and calories!!"
"Best grilled cheese I ever made. Extra special with fresh basil from my herb garden."
"Delicious! I baked my own fresh italian bread to use in this recipe and it was fabulous. I didn't have any balsamic vinegar on hand so I just left it out. My husband and I loved them!"