Basil Tomato Bread
This bread is best served with a bowl of soup or spaghetti and sauce. It will disappear so quickly you will want to make 2 loaves.—Linda Nealley, Newburgh, Maine
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, basil and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in cheese and tomatoes.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 178 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Basil Tomato Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.