Basil Garden Salad
Basil is one of the easiest herbs to grow and adds flavor to many foods. In summer, I like to use it fresh in tossed salads like this.—Bobbie Talbott, Veneta, Oregon
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1 cup torn Bibb lettuce
- 3 green onions with tops, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and diced
- 6 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 9 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, onions, tomato, mushrooms and basil. In a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, oil, pepper and salt and sugar if desired. Cover; shake well. Pour over the salad; toss to coat. Serve immediately.