"I got the inspiration for this recipe when I knew my parents and in-laws were coming to see our new home," shares Kerry Durgin Krebs of New Market, Maryland. "My mother-in-law has food allergies, my father-in-law has some very specific food preferences and my parents appreciate light meals. I created this chicken sandwich with fresh basil for our lunch."
Recommended: Fresh Basil Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash paprika
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 tablespoons prepared olive oil vinaigrette salad dressing, divided
- 6 Italian or French sandwich rolls, split
- 18 basil leaves
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers in water, drained
- 1/4 cup shredded Romano cheese
- In a bowl, combine the pepper, salt and paprika; sprinkle over chicken slices. In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons salad dressing for 4-5 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear. Brush remaining salad dressing on rolls. Place basil leaves on rolls; top with chicken and red peppers. Sprinkle with Romano cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Basil Chicken Sandwiches in Light & Tasty August/September 2004, p20