Basil Chicken over Greens
This eye-catching salad entree pairs basil-stuffed chicken breasts with sliced fennel and salad greens. “It’s one of my favorite ways to serve chicken. —Marie Rizzo, Interlochen, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + marinating Cook: 15 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup Italian salad dressing, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) Italian-blend salad greens
- 1 medium fennel bulb, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Chopped fennel fronds, optional
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; place in a large resealable plastic bag. Add 1/2 cup salad dressing; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Arrange salad greens and fennel slices on a serving platter; drizzle with remaining dressing. Cover and refrigerate.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Place 1 tablespoon of basil on each piece of chicken; top with tomatoes. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; tie with kitchen string. In a shallow bowl, beat egg and water. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then roll in crumb mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil on all sides for 15-20 minutes or until juices run clear. Slice and arrange over greens. Garnish with fennel fronds if desired.
Originally published as Italian Stuffed Chicken with Fennel and Greens in Taste of Home October/November 2005