Tender and chewy, these bread sticks always go fast. “My daughters, Jence, Karly and Kourtney, could eat every last one,” notes Melinda Rhoads of Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 10 fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, wheat germ, yeast, warm water, 1 tablespoon oil, honey and salt; beat for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead for 5-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Coat a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with cooking spray. Pat dough into pan. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic and remaining oil; brush over bread. Sprinkle with cheeses, parsley and basil. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cut into strips. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Basil-Cheese Bread Strips in Taste of Home February/March 2006, p47