Basil Cheddar Scones
Our Test Kitchen home economists suggest you tuck these oven-fresh savory scones into a napkin-lined gift basket, along with a package of pasta and jar of spaghetti sauce.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto sauce
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, cheese and pesto. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Pat into a 10-in. circle; cut into eight wedges but do not separate.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 350 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 391mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Basil Cheddar Scones in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.