VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto sauce
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, cheese and pesto. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Pat into a 10-in. circle; cut into eight wedges but do not separate.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.
Originally published as Basil Cheddar Scones in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p47