Basil Buttermilk Dressing
Why buy dressing from the store when it’s so easy to whip up your own? Keep the mix on hand and simply add water, lemon juice and mayonnaise to make it salad-ready.—Jenece Howard, Elko, Nevada
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
Makesabout 1 cup per batch
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 6 batches (1-1/2 cups mix).
- To prepare dressing: In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup mix with cold water and lemon juice. Whisk in mayonnaise. Stir before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's Note: Buttermilk blend powder may be substituted for the nonfat dry milk powder. Omit the lemon juice when preparing the salad dressing.