- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews forBasic Homemade Bread
"This recipe is awesome! I made it just like the recipe stated. It was perfect. I will be making more today. My whole family loved it. For people who can't get the bread to rise, try putting it in front of a small heater. It helped mine rise a lot."
"I am not experienced with yeast breads at all. This is the second one I've made. I followed the recipe exactly and was rewarded with two beautiful and delicious loaves of bread. The crust came out just right crispness and the texture on the inside is delightful, soft, delicious. I am so proud of how they turned out! easy to follow directions, will definitely use this recipe again.Edit: My family tried it later in the day and all 4 of them lost their mind over the deliciousness, and I received specific compliments on crust and texture. This bread is really a hit!"
"Scale of 1-10:Ease of prep: 9, super easy, just toss in a bowl and mixCooking time: 8, it's about average for breadsTexture: 8, still a little fluffier than I like but the crust isn’t as flakyMoisture: 9, has enough that I didn't feel like a slice NEEDED some kind of spreadFlavor: 6, sweeter than I like, less sugar next time."
"This recipe worked great! I have been looking for a good basic bread recipe to go with some amazing jam we are giving away this Christmas. I looked through the comments and took folks' common advice and it turned out really well! Bloom the yeast in the warm water with the sugar, mix and let proof for 10 minutes before incorporating the other ingredients. Also - hand knead this dough. I am on my second batch having done the hand kneading as opposed to the dough hook this time around and it has turned out even better than the first time. This is an easy, no-fuss recipe that turns out great."
"This is my go to recipe I am a novice bread baker and was a bit nervous if this recipe would work out. I am glad I did it's a hit every time the only thing I would like to share is the first time the bread lost moisture and so was a bit hard but then a friend told me to put a tray with water on the bottom rack to create a steam oven I am glad I got this tip the bread comes out moist on the inside and crusty on the outside!"
"My family loves this recipe. I use it to make rolls! Perfect crusty but soft bread. Love it!"