Basic Homemade Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups bread flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand until bubbles form on surface. Whisk together remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, and 3 cups flour. Stir oil into yeast mixture; pour into flour mixture and beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in 2 greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Bake at 375° until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped or has reached an internal temperature of 200°, 30-35 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 102 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 10, 2019
Have been using this recipe for years and I love it! Always consistently good bread!
Nov 9, 2019
Do you need to let the yeast wake up before you start mixing in the remaining yeast?
Nov 6, 2019
My wife and I made this bread tonight....AMAZING! Unbelievably awesome. First time making it, is and our three kids are hooked! Thank you!
Oct 14, 2019
Best recipe I have tried and I have been trying to find a really good bread recipe for a long time. The bread is light and fluffy. Thank you. My search is st an end
Oct 4, 2019
I MADE YOUR RECIPE AND IT IS THE BEST. I LOVE IT. MADE SOME THIS MORNING AND WE ATE AWESOME SANDWICHES FOR LUNCH. YES. THANK YOU AND BLESS YOU.
Oct 4, 2019
Just finished making up this bread recipe. I've attempted to make bread in the past with no success. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that it turns out. I'd love to have found an easy bread recipe that I can repeat week after week. This way I can keep my family healthier as well as save some money on our grocery bill each month. We are practicing staying debt free and although we can afford it, we stick to a very strick budget. Gotta lunch them pennies where we can. Bread is on the rise now. I'll post a review on the final outcome. Stay tuned...
Sep 30, 2019
This was such an easy recipe and the result was awesome! Im super impressed. I've tried a bunch of recipes and this is a winner!
Sep 26, 2019
I don't buy bread at the store. All the crap you buy there and most of the flour mixes have bromate. SO I finally decided to buy bromate free flour and try to cook..(( wait is it took or make or make??) Make bread. It was easier than I thought it would be to make.. Its rising right now.. Kinda huge.. I realized though that I don't have any bread pans so.. this is going to be an interesting experiment... Going to toss it on a cookie sheet and.. eat what happens. I like that the recipe was so easy. I don't like the ads I have to scroll through in the middle of the page. I'll try this again next week.. I think
Sep 21, 2019
I followed the directions perfectly and had a blob of sticky dough. I added more flour after turning out onto wax paper because of the lack of work area I have, had to use the stovetop. I added even more flour. after failing in the use of yeast 4 times, I sure hope this bread tunrs out good! it is rising as I type.
Sep 16, 2019
I followed exactly what the recipe says and this bread turns out perfect every single time!! I had never made any kind of homemade bread before, and this was so easy. It does take some time simply because how long it takes the dough to rise, but the amount of time actually making and working with the dough is not long at all. My family loves this bread, and I have actually had some people purchase loaves off of me as well. I was even told that it is better than bread from Amish Country!!! Thanks so much for this recipe! I will definitely recommend it to anyone that wants to make their own bread!!!