Basic Homemade Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in 2 greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 102 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 12, 2019
This message is for Cathy. I had the same problem with my bread machine. The solution is to take the dough out after the knead cycle and let it rise in your own pans. It seemed like the machine was not allowing it sufficient time to rise. Bake according to the directions. Good luck!!!!
Apr 3, 2019
Bread turned out great, could I use honey to sweetin and result
Apr 1, 2019
I have bread machine and would like to know if this recipe will help me make better bread in machine..my bread comes out too hard and heavy
Mar 30, 2019
Omg! I've always sucked at bread UNTIL this recipe! Awesome it came out great. My daughter kept asking for more!
Mar 22, 2019
I've gone through many recipe's trying to find one that was simple, good texture and taste great. My search is over this is the one I've been looking for.
Mar 20, 2019
Great recipe, best bread I’ve made so far - turned out exactly as you’d hope and has risen perfectly. Topped mine with shallots and grated cheese before baking for a bit of added flavour. Definitely recommend you try this one!
Mar 16, 2019
I am a Baker by trade, but when I'm home I like to use this very simple recipe. I do use an egg wash and I reccomend a very light sprinkling of flakey salt. It is delicious and beautiful.
Mar 4, 2019
This recipe is to simplistic and not detailed enough. By not letting the yeast sit I believe it caused the bread not to rise high enough. This resulted in 2 loafs that were shorter than they should've been. I also reccomend a egg wash before cooking. The texture of the bread was sorta like cornbread and a little mushy but not to bad really not great or terrible. it was very crumbly and hard to cut thin slices.
Feb 19, 2019
Recipe reads simple; the recipe is easy to understand. Does the recipe go well with a bread machine?
Feb 10, 2019
Did anyone else even come close to using 6 cups of flour? I used met before. And it came out perfectly