Basic Homemade Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups bread flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand until bubbles form on surface. Whisk together remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, and 3 cups flour. Stir oil into yeast mixture; pour into flour mixture and beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in 2 greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Bake at 375° until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped or has reached an internal temperature of 200°, 30-35 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 102 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 8, 2019
I use this recipe as a template. As an experienced baker, I can make numerous modifications with a recipe this basic. To answer some other concerns, it is helpful to start with the yeast and two cups of flour and add the liquid ingredients before you add salt and let sit about ten minutes. This fully activated the yeast and can improve results. To the person whose bread came out doughy, have you confirmed your oven temperature is accurate? Often, home ranges can vary in actual temperature.
Nov 29, 2019
This is a five star recipe all the way its a perfect recipe every time and everyone loves it including me!!!
Nov 25, 2019
This is a wonderful recipe to make. It's easy
Nov 15, 2019
Ok i just used your receipe and the bread is doughy in the middle im going to cook it a little longer then let you know if i like this recipe
Nov 10, 2019
Have been using this recipe for years and I love it! Always consistently good bread!
Nov 9, 2019
Do you need to let the yeast wake up before you start mixing in the remaining yeast?
Nov 6, 2019
My wife and I made this bread tonight....AMAZING! Unbelievably awesome. First time making it, is and our three kids are hooked! Thank you!
Oct 14, 2019
Best recipe I have tried and I have been trying to find a really good bread recipe for a long time. The bread is light and fluffy. Thank you. My search is st an end
Oct 4, 2019
I MADE YOUR RECIPE AND IT IS THE BEST. I LOVE IT. MADE SOME THIS MORNING AND WE ATE AWESOME SANDWICHES FOR LUNCH. YES. THANK YOU AND BLESS YOU.
Oct 4, 2019
Just finished making up this bread recipe. I've attempted to make bread in the past with no success. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that it turns out. I'd love to have found an easy bread recipe that I can repeat week after week. This way I can keep my family healthier as well as save some money on our grocery bill each month. We are practicing staying debt free and although we can afford it, we stick to a very strick budget. Gotta lunch them pennies where we can. Bread is on the rise now. I'll post a review on the final outcome. Stay tuned...