VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups warm water
- 1 cup each shredded cheddar, mozzarella and pepper Jack cheese
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- Salsa and sour cream
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Add enough warm water, stirring until mixture forms a ball. Let stand for 10 minutes. Divide into 28 portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7-in. circle.
- Cook on a lightly greased griddle for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side, breaking any bubbles with a toothpick if necessary. Keep warm.
- In a bowl, combine the cheeses. For each quesadilla, place a tortilla on the griddle; sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons cheese mixture, 2 tablespoons chicken, 1 tablespoon onions, 1 tablespoon olives and 1 teaspoon chilies. Top with 1 tablespoon cheese mixture and another tortilla. Cook for 30-60 seconds; turn and cook 30 seconds longer or until cheese is melted.
- Cut into wedges. Serve with salsa and sour cream. Yield: 14 quesadillas.
Originally published as Chicken Quesadillas in Taste of Home August/September 2001, p63