Basic Chicken Parmigiana
—Heather Sauter, Silver Spring, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons each dried basil, thyme and oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt-free herb seasoning blend
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, basil, thyme, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the milk, flour and egg in separate shallow bowls. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan and herb seasoning. Dip chicken in milk; roll in flour. Dip in egg; coat with crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter over medium heat until golden brown and a thermometer reads 170°. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve over spaghetti; top with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 756 calories, 33g fat (15g saturated fat), 227mg cholesterol, 2032mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 6g fiber), 49g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Parmigiana in The Taste of Home Cookbook 3rd Edition