Basic Beef Starter
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing Cook: 10 min.
Makes4 portions (11-1/2 cups)
- 5 pounds ground beef
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Cool.
- Place about 2-3/4 cups each in four freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 267 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 819mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Jul 27, 2013
I have been making this recipe since 02'. My family enjoys both recipes that go with it. They forgot to include Beef Stuffed Peppers can also be made from the beef starter. You can find the recipe on Taste of Home website.
Sep 6, 2011
This is a wonderful way to plan ahead... however, adding the gravy and/or soup mix just isn't necessary. You add more recipe options when you don't pre-season it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.