I like these simple baseball cupcakes because it can be mixed up by hand. I have worked and reworked it and finally was successful in coming up with just the right measurements to yield four to six cupcakes. —Jane Pearson, Dayton, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- Red shoestring licorice
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in the milk, egg white and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat the butter, confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Decorate with licorice pieces to form lacing.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake (calculated without licorice): 308 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Light White Cupcakes in Reminisce June/July 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.