Bartlett Pear and Blue Cheese Salad
Sweet pears and rich blue cheese turn a bed of greens into an elegant side. Topped with tangy vinaigrette, this tantalizing salad from Cindy Dyrnes of Deptford, New Jersey will win rave reviews from all!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 3 medium Bartlett pears, halved and cored
- 6 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2-1/4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 6 cups torn leaf lettuce
- Place pears, cut side down, in an 11x7-in. baking dish. Brush with 2 teaspoons lemon juice. Add water and remaining lemon juice to pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or just until pears are tender. Drain and cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. In another bowl, combine the blue cheese, walnuts and onions.
- Just before serving, divide lettuce among six plates; drizzle with dressing. Top each with a pear half and 2 tablespoons blue cheese mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 161 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Salad Pears Stuffed with Cheese, Scallions and Walnuts in Light & Tasty August/September 2007