- 1 package (18-1/2 ounces) butter recipe golden cake mix
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) devil's food cake mix
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting
- Red, blue, pink and yellow paste food coloring
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Black and red decorating gel
- Miniature M&M baking bits
- Assorted candies (pink mint candy lozenges, Good & Plenty candies and Brach's white dessert mints)
- Candy corn
- Prepare golden cake batter according to package directions. Pour into a greased and waxed paper-lined 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 33-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Prepare devil's food cake batter according to package directions. Fill 24 paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 21-26 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Tint 1 cup frosting red. Frost two-thirds of the cake, forming a barn shape; spread frosting on sides of barn. For sky, tint 2/3 cup frosting blue; frost remaining top and sides of cake.
- Outline barn roof with chocolate chips. Insert #6 round tip into a pastry bag; fill bag with 1/4 cup white frosting. Outline barn doors and a window. With black decorating gel and an M&M baking bit, add a spiderweb and spider.
- For pigs, tint 1 cup frosting pink; frost 12 cupcakes. Attach baking bits for eyes, pink candy lozenges for snouts, chocolate chips for nostrils and Good & Plenty candies for ears.
- For chicks, tint 2 cups frosting yellow; transfer to a pastry bag. Insert #17 star tip; pipe frosting onto 11 cupcakes. Pipe heads and wings. Decorate with dessert mints, baking bits and candy corn.
- For sun, frost remaining cupcake with yellow frosting. Position candy corn around edges. Form a face with chocolate chips and red decorating gel. Yield: 1 cake (12-15 servings) plus 2 dozen cupcakes.
Reviews forBarnyard Cupcakes
"I just made this cake for my son's first birthday. I made a few slight changes and added cows and sheep. Everyone loved them."
"so cute. I made them for my son's 2ed birthday. I also made cows since grandpa's a dairy farmer. fun to make"
"I made this for my son's first birthday party. It turned out great. Making the cake and cupcakes was a bit tedious, and I did improvise a little on the animals, but with a little imagination, everyone was pleased with the end result! I was grateful for the idea!"
"This has got to be the cutest cake in the universe! Thank you so much!"