This is a scrumptious sandwich recipe that will soon become a staple in your house.—National Barley Foods Council, Mary Sullivan, Spokane, Washington
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 flour tortillas (6 to 7 inches), warmed
- In a saucepan, combine water, barley and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender. In a skillet, cook turkey until no longer pink; drain. Add the barley, salsa, corn, chilies, olives and seasonings; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the cheese. Spoon into tortillas and roll up.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 303 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 653mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Barley Wraps in Country Woman July/August 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.