Barley Radish Salad
"My family loves barley, so I try to work it into everyday menus&151;including picnics and packed lunches," writes Maude Chuha of Chardon, Ohio. "Cooked barley gives this salad a chewy texture, while radishes, celery and green onions add a pleasant crunch."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 cup finely chopped radishes
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 cup medium pearl barley, cooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a bowl, combine radishes, celery, onions and barley. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients; shake well. Pour over barley mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 140 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Barley Radish Salad in Light & Tasty February/March 2002