Barley Pilaf with Bacon
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Cool, then refrigerate.
- Drain skillet, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings. In drippings, saute barley, onion and mushrooms until barley is lightly browned and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir in broth and pepper. Cover and bake 1 hour.
- Stir in bacon; bake 5-10 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 157 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 356mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Nov 2, 2013
Excellent! Made an elegant meal served with venison and aspargus.
Mar 8, 2010
I don't serve barley too often so this was a nice change of pace. I used turkey bacon instead of pork bacon and it came out wonderful. I served this along side Five Spice Tuna and Asian Broccoli salad which resulted in a nice combinations of flavors.
Jan 27, 2010
great recipe. dont mistakenly use quick cooking barley. better if made ahead or as left overs.
Dec 6, 2008
This is really delicious with a creamy texture! Highly recommended!!