- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Cool, then refrigerate.
- Drain skillet, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings. In the drippings, saute the barley, onion and mushrooms until barley is lightly browned and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir in broth and pepper. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Stir in bacon; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forBarley Pilaf with Bacon
"Excellent! Made an elegant meal served with venison and aspargus."
"great recipe. dont mistakenly use quick cooking barley. better if made ahead or as left overs."
"This is really delicious with a creamy texture! Highly recommended!!"