Barley Lentil Stew
This stew is the perfect recipe to make on a cool winter day with a slice of homemade bread. It is so flavorful with a lot of seasoning.—Hazel Bowman, Mechanicsville, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1/2 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 9 tablespoons fat-free plain yogurt
- In a nonstick skillet, saute the onions and carrots in oil for 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic and cumin; cook and stir for 1 minute longer. Add the broth, tomatoes, lentils, brown sugar and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the barley. Cover and cook for 45 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the parsley, salt and pepper. Discard cinnamon stick. Serve in bowls with a dollop of yogurt.