Barley & Greens Salad
Chock-full of whole grains and fresh vegetables, this pretty dish can be served as a side or as a meal on its own. It's not only good for you, it's just plain good. —Kim Van Dunk, Caldwell, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 cups frozen peas (about 8 ounces), thawed
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh kale
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh arugula
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender, 45-50 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, just until tender, 5-7 minutes. Drain.
- Add walnuts and remaining vegetables to barley; gently stir in sweet potatoes. In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients; toss with salad. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate, covered, and serve cold.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 226 calories, 11g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
Originally published as Whole Grain Barley, Greens, and Sweet Potato Salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017