Barley Chili Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until barley is tender. Yield: 3 cups.
1 cup: 239 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 599mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Barley Chili
"This is one of children's favorite meals. I double the recipe for our family of four. This is also a good meal to make ahead and put in the freezer."