- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 7 green onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a large ovenproof skillet, saute the celery, carrots, onions and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the barley, salt and pepper. Stir in 2-1/2 cups broth. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and remaining broth; sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forBarley Casserole
"Something different when your looking for something other then rice, potatoes, and pasta. Perhaps it could use more herbs and/or veggies but I liked it as is."
"It is filling and keeps you full but it is plain & boring, too much barley not enough other flavor. Next time I will use more veggies and seasonings or less barley."