Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 2 hours 50 min.
- 2 pounds meaty beef soup bones
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium rutabaga (about 1 pound), diced
- 3 cups fresh diced beets (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 small head cabbage (about 1 pound), shredded
- 2-1/2 cups diced carrots (about 1 pound)
- 2-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- Sour cream, optional
- Fresh dill
- In a Dutch oven, combine beef bones, onion, bay leaf, salt, peppercorns and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Strain broth; discard bones, onion and seasonings. Skim fat and return broth to the kettle. Add rutabaga, beets, celery, cabbage, carrots, potatoes and barley. Return to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 50 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender and barley is cooked. Stir in tomatoes and vinegar; heat through. Ladle into serving bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream if desired. Sprinkle with dill.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 110 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 24, 2011
DELISH!!! 1st time making borscht - will definately make again. i omitted the rutabaga. added diced cooked chicken. the 1/4 cup vinegar gives it a nice flavor but if you prefer your borscht more sour like i do, than add a tad more. i used whipping cream instead of sour cream.