Barley Bell Peppers
If you and your family like stuffed peppers, you're going to love this recipe. Instead of the usual rice, these fresh green peppers are filled with barley and a nice blend of seasonings, along with ground beef.—National Barley Foods Council, Mary Sullivan, Spokane, Washington
Total TimePrep: 65 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 medium green peppers
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Drain tomatoes, reserving juice. Set the tomatoes aside. Add water to juice to measure 2 cups; place in a saucepan. Add barley and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cut tops off peppers; remove seeds. Place peppers in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil; boil for 3 minutes. Drain; rinse in cold water and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add beef and allspice. Cook until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the barley mixture, parsley, salt, pepper and tomatoes. Spoon into peppers.
- Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until peppers are tender and the meat is heated through.