Barley Beef Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green beans, thawed
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1. In a large skillet, brown beef and onion in oil until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water, tomato sauce, carrots, celery, salt, oregano, paprika and pepper.
Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Add the beans, corn and barley; cover and cook on low 2 hours longer or until barley, beef and vegetables are tender.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled stew in freezer containers and freeze up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1-1/4 cups: 299 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 896mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 21g protein.
Reviews for Barley Beef Stew
"I used beef broth instead of water and used tomato sauce with basil, garlic and oregano."
"Have made this twice now. Love that it makes a big batch! Leftovers for work lunch are delicious the next day(s). I added 1 full cup barley for thickness. Thanks to the contributor for a great slow-cooker recipe!"
"Great stew!! I used round steak & would definitely add more liquid next time. But it was delicious!!"
"Very tasty, comforting, basic recipe. My husband thought it was perfect. I would like to jazz it up a little with some red wine and spices for myself. Will make it again both ways."
"Very good! I substituted baby butter beans for the green beans and used beef broth instead of just water. My family loved it!"
"It was good. I'd add a little more liquid to it next time because it was a bit to thick for us."
"After working outdoors all day, it was wonderful to come in and feast on this delicious stew! I added one more cup of water and deleted the canola oil. With a warm corn muffin, it was a perfect meal!"
"Everyone loved it. I added 2 Tblsp. Capers.I love capers and I use them a lot ."
"This recipe was good, but it was a bit on the bland side. Okay, but not amazing."