This is a delicious change of pace from potato casseroles. Slivered almonds give it a nice crunch.—Lamar Lyons Parker, Peoria, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, celery and onions in butter until tender. Add barley; cook and stir until barley is golden brown, about 6-7 minutes.
- In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, combine barley mixture, 1 cup broth and parsley. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Uncover; stir in almonds and remaining broth. Bake 45-50 minutes longer or until barley is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 199 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Barley Bake in Casserole Cookbook