This is a delicious change of pace from potato casseroles. Slivered almonds give it a nice crunch.—Lamar Lyons Parker, Peoria, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, celery and onions in butter until tender. Add barley; cook and stir until barley is golden brown, about 6-7 minutes.
- In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, combine barley mixture, 1 cup broth and parsley. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Uncover; stir in almonds and remaining broth. Bake 45-50 minutes longer or until barley is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 199 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Barley Bake in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.