Barley and Rice Pilaf
If you're tired of potatoes, try this quick-and-easy pilaf for a change of taste. "I put it together while trying to use up left-over rice," writes Marilyn Bazant of Albuquerque, New Mexico. "I've experimented with many variations, such as adding broccoli florets and asparagus."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup cooked medium pearl barley
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, red pepper, onions and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the rice, barley, bacon, salt and pepper; cook and stir until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 187 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Barley and Rice Pilaf in Light & Tasty June/July 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.