Barley and Corn Casserole Recipe
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1. In a skillet over medium heat, saute the garlic, onion and carrots in oil until tender. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish; add broth, barley, salt if desired and pepper. Mix well. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Stir in corn and parsley. Cover and bake 10-15 minutes more or until the barley is tender and corn is heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
1/2 cup: 108 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 36mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Barley and Corn Casserole
"We didn't care for the combination of barley and corn."
"This recipe was quite easy and a nice change from the usual rice or potatoes."