I don't remember where my sister found this recipe, but it quickly became a family favorite. From the zesty, flavorful sauce and crispy skin to the juicy and tender meat, it's the best Thanksgiving turkey I've ever tried. —Valerie Delano, Cascade, Montana
Total TimePrep: 70 min. Grill: 2 hours + standing
Makes12 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in 1/4 cup oil until tender. Stir in the ketchup, water, syrup, vinegar, molasses, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, celery seed, pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon pepper and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for serving.
- Remove giblets from turkey (discard or save for another use). Lightly oil the grill rack. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Rub remaining oil over skin of turkey. Sprinkle salt and remaining pepper over turkey and inside cavity.
- Place turkey over drip pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1 hour. Brush with some of the sauce mixture. Grill 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting frequently with remaining sauce. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before carving. Serve with reserved sauce.
Nutrition Facts8 ounces cooked turkey with 2 tablespoons sauce : 709 calories, 32g fat (8g saturated fat), 245mg cholesterol, 1451mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 73g protein.
Originally published as Barbecued Turkey in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.