Barbecued Picnic Chicken Recipe
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3-1/2 to 4 pounds each), cut up
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute garlic in butter until tender. Add the next eight ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 2. On a lightly greased grill rack, grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 30 minutes, turning occasionally. Baste with sauce. Grill 15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reaches 170°, basting and turning several times. Yield: 8 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips
1 piece: 296 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 761mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Reviews for Barbecued Picnic Chicken
"I made this on an indoor grill using chicken thighs. Turned out excellent and I'll make it again for sure."
"This is one of our all-time favorite BBQ chicken recipes. Have been making it since it first appeared in the magazine. It is finger-licking good."
"The Bar B Q sause was really good . I live in an upstairs apartment with no place to grill so I used my George Foreman grill and It still turned out tasty. Will definitely make the Sauce again."
"I love this recipe. I have been using it for years. I lost the little card it came on from the magazine. (I think my daughter threw it away) I use this for everything and anythingI BBQ. Enjoy!"
"This is one of the best BBQ chicken sauces that I have tried. Definitely a keeper!"
"Priscilla, This is a wonderful recipe. I would not tweak or change one single thing in it. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it and this Friday 6 of our friends will sample this lovely recipe as well. I grilled my split oven roaster on the grill for about 25 minutes. Flipping sides after about 13 minutes . Then I hit it with some of the sauce and finished it up in the oven. I also reserved a small amount of the sauce to serve on the side if desired. It is a winning Keeper *Janie"
"This is a wonderful sauce. I prefer to precook the chicken for a little while so I'm sure it gets done; and takes less time on the grill."