- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3-1/2 to 4 pounds each), cut up
- In a large saucepan, saute garlic in butter until tender. Add the next eight ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- On a lightly greased grill rack, grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 30 minutes, turning occasionally. Baste with sauce. Grill 15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reaches 170°, basting and turning several times. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forBarbecued Picnic Chicken
"I made this on an indoor grill using chicken thighs. Turned out excellent and I'll make it again for sure."
"This is one of our all-time favorite BBQ chicken recipes. Have been making it since it first appeared in the magazine. It is finger-licking good."
"The Bar B Q sause was really good . I live in an upstairs apartment with no place to grill so I used my George Foreman grill and It still turned out tasty. Will definitely make the Sauce again."
"I love this recipe. I have been using it for years. I lost the little card it came on from the magazine. (I think my daughter threw it away) I use this for everything and anythingI BBQ. Enjoy!"
"This is one of the best BBQ chicken sauces that I have tried. Definitely a keeper!"