For a savory appetizer, try this recipe. Your guests will be so surprised how packed full of flavor the balls and sauce are.—Maryeileen Jahnke, South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
Makesabout 5-1/2 dozen
- 2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup ground pecans
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 6 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, Worcestershire sauce and sugar; add to cracker mixture. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine sauce ingredients; pour over nutballs. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour (do not stir). Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 133 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Barbecued Nutballs in Country Woman November/December 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.